Monday, December 22, 2008

Day Three - Delhi

Wow! What an experience Delhi has been.
After a long night’s sleep and an early morning run, we were on our way. There are eight of us and a baby traveling together so our tour guide has provided a large vehicle for us. The first thing you notice on the streets of Delhi (Dell-ee) is the sheer number of automobiles. With a population of 12.8 million (that’s about three times the number of people in Chicago) it’s no wonder there are so many wheels for transportation. Added to cars are more scooters and bicycles than imaginable (not to mention the pedestrians) and they have these small gas powered bright green taxis that are no more than a glamorized golf carts that whip in and out of traffic and between vehicles at a insane pace. Glancing out my window in the van I happened to notice this one and thought the bumper sticker was funny. When I asked out tour guide to comment on the drivers in India he said, “In India we rely on three things: good beeps (horn), good brakes, and good luck.” I believe this whole heartedly as everyone seems to do nothing but move about as they choose and honk at one another. It’s probably a good thing there are so many vehicles as no one can move very fast in the congestion.
Delhi hasn’t always been the capital of India, but it has played a huge role in Indian history. Many have invaded and several other empires have captured this Northern Indian city. There have been at least eight cities founded it what is considered Delhi now. The old saying that whoever establishes a new city at Delhi will lose it has come true every time. Delhi officially became the capital after winning independence from England in 1947.
Our first stop was in Old Delhi (the seventh city created) at the Jama Masjid. The Jama Masjid is the largest mosque in India. Mosques are the Muslim places of worship. This mosque was started in 1644; it wasn’t completed until 1658. It has three entry ways one each on the south, north, and west sides. The forth side (as pictured) is the direction in which Muslims pray (toward Mecca). You must remove your shoes before entering a mosque, and all mosques have a water source as Muslims are required to bathe their hands before prayer. Inside Eliot got scammed by some kids who charmed him into taking a picture with them and then charged him for it (he wants it noted he only paid 10 rupees about 25cents). In the picture he is holding his pocket because in a movie we recently saw, Slumdog Millionaire (which I highly recommend) kids often pick pocketed tourists.



Outside the Jama Masjid we enjoyed the ride of a lifetime on a bicycle rickshaw. Flipping through Old Delhi’s narrow alley ways and byways we adventured into the shopping district on the back of a bike. The market sold everything imaginable from fruits and vegetables to beautiful fabrics, textiles, even paper. The driver simply must have quads of steel as most of the ride was uphill and neither of us is light. These are pictures taken along the way. I wish I had thought to take video of this crazy adventure, as there is nothing like a jolted stop for a passing tomato cart.











Next we visited the Raj Ghat. This is the final resting spot of Mahatma Gandhi, India’s most famous and noble leader. This park is absolutely serene, beautiful, and peaceful. Although, I'm sure Ghandi would be far to humble of a man to want something this elaborate in his name. Shortly after liberation from English rule Gandhi was shot. This area serves as a memorial to their noble leader.






Afterwards we went to the Qutb Minar; it was built to celebrate the defeat of the Hindu Kingdom in 1193. The tower has five stories and stands 73 meters high. The first three are made of red sandstone, the fourth and fifth are of marble and sandstone. Standing for nearly a thousand years the tower has only a slight tilt. They are currently making some renovations to fix this tilt. The surrounding buildings were originally a Hindu facility which upon defeat the ornate carvings were destroyed. I took pictures of the remaining original structure too.


^----- These is the original Hindu carvings that were defaced by the Muslims.

Finally, we visited a bazaar and got in some good shopping. They had BEAUTIFUL Kashmir rugs for sale. I had to control myself and not purchase the thousand dollar rug. Sorry dad, I guess Christmas won’t be quite so merry!




Some interesting things I’ve noticed:
1) For some reason diet drinks are more expensive than regular.
2) To take pictures in the mosque it was 200 Rupees (about 4 dollars)
3) Security exists but as in the picture seems to be a bit of a front. Some are metal detectors made out of wood, with no electricity run to them.
4) Rules are often posted, but not often followed (by the locals that is).
5) Men both shower, and use the bathroom outside, often on the side of major roads.
Tomorrow - Varanasi

2 comments:

  1. Laura the photos are beautiful and I bet you found some fantastic fabrics when you went to the market. The colors and pigments seem to be remarkable. I am impressed by the history and cultural info you are including, what a service to your students and to Olivia and me.

    I have learned many things that I knew nothing about. Thanks That good care of everyone and give Elliott a big old happy Howdy from his California family.
    Lots of Love Mom and Livie

    ReplyDelete