The streets just below are bustling with businesses, street vendors, foot traffic, and snake charmers. Yes, snake charmers. Indian snake charming families have for centuries caught the infamous and dangerous King cobra snakes in the wild. The milk them of their venom and make them unable to create more. Then they play music on an instrument called a pungi which hypnotises the snake. Hinduism has long held serpents to be sacred; the animals are related to Nagas, and many gods are pictured under the protection of the cobra. Indians thus considered snake charmers to be holy men who were influenced by the gods.
Afterwards we proceeded to the Amber Fort. This magnificent fort is more of a palace, built from red sandstone and white marble, it is divided into four main sections each with its own courtyard. Entry through the Suraj Pol (Sun Gate) is done by elephant. One would think that such a sturdy animal would provide a sturdy ride. However, there are few roller coaster I would NOT revisit and the elephant ride is at the top. This is partly due to the fact that I rocked so far back and forth I felt as though I were about to fall off, and partly because our "driver" would often hit the poor elephant with a wooden stick upon its skull (I've seen Dumbo too many times to consider that okay). We of course... took pictures.
Amber was built by the Kachwaha Rajputs who reigned for over 800 years. The fort sight was chosen for protection and construction began in 1592. The sight housed and entertained many powerful families from this era in Inidan history.

No comments:
Post a Comment