Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day Four an- Varanasi (Var-na-see)

After a morning domestic flight, we arrived in Varanasi with very little problem. Varanasi is a large village right along the Ganges (Gan-gees) River. The Ganges River is considered a sacred places to the people of Hindu Religion. They wash themselves in this river believing that it washes away bad karma. This is also the spot of the holiest of ceremonies. Many Hindu people are cremated right along the river bank.

After checking in at the hotel we were off to our first sight. We visited the Mother India Temple. This temple was built as a symbol of India's strength and wisdom. It is a marble physical map of the country of India. It is interesting because it is one of few Hindu temples that welcome worshippers of all religions. It is also the only one that allowed me take pictures.

After visting several temples (or I should say driving by), it was off for another bicycle rickshaw ride down to the Ganges River to watch the Hindu evening ceremony. This time Ms. Kessinger was smart enough to have her camera ready. Here is a taste of what that experience is like. I wish I had a way to also share with you the smells of the ride. The various spices brewing, insense, and teas make a sometimes overwhelming aroma. (I'm having trouble uploading the video, its a large file. I'll post it when I find a quicker connection)

The following morning we floated on a row boat along the Ganges River where we witnessed many people bathing away their sins. Workers were also cleaning laundry in the river using the same methods they have for centuries. From the river you almost see a back view of Varnasai coupled with a very intimate portrait of the people and culture. These are all from the river tour.



From Varanasi we travel to Agra via an overnight train which was an experience all on its own.

2 comments:

  1. you must be having the time of yall lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unexpected pleasure to talk with you this morning!! I missed you terribly - The first Christmas day that I did not have my whole little family together, I was blue and it really helped to speak with you. Thanks - that was the best Christmas present.

    We are enjoying the virtual trip through India and the eduation that is coming with it. Thanks for that too.

    I told Josh that Noah might enjoy watching the trip through the journal, so maybe thay will follow you too.

    We love you honey - keep up all the good work
    Mom and Livie

    ReplyDelete